February 28, 2012

My BLINGY Button Bonsai

 I simply adore buttons! They just make me smile! And one day I had a random thought, “What would a button tree look like?” And immediately , I answered myself and blurted out, “A Bonsai!” So naturally -my Button Bonsai will also be blossomed with some BLING! 
Thrift stores are perfect for picking up old frames.  I only spent a few bucks on this one.
After I painted the gold frame- white, to add a touch of sparkle in the corners, I used the Designer Dries Clear Adhesive and sprinkled the #189- Pearl, into the crevices.
  I continued using the adhesive to lightly brush the tops of the buttons, dusting them with the remaining glitter colors from the SASSY, Pee Wee Kit. (I find that using the condiment cups- to catch the glitter, makes transferring unused glitter back to their containers, a cinch!) 
So after I shook off the excess glitter from each button, I used a straight pin to unclog any button holes that formed. Then I set them aside to dry.
  I also love airbrushing because it’s fast and you can create a graphic-like look with the usage of stencils. I made my own stencil by drawing a bonsai tree onto poster board and cutting it out with a craft knife. But first, I used an airbrush-to base coat the canvas with peach paint.
This (Solo Resin Airbrush- A4702) airbrush is double action......so the trigger controls both air and paint. It is great for general and precise work.  Traditional airbrushes are hard to clean and clog easily, but this one is made of a light weight material that actually resists the paint- preventing annoying stops and starts.  To clean, instead of having to take apart the whole thing, like traditional ones, you only have to remove the nozzle and soak it in cleaner.
     
Then I wrapped it with lace and airbrushed over it with white. “Taa-daa!” Your canvas will instantly look like lacey wallpaper! 
I then taped the bonsai stencil onto the canvas and airbrushed over it with black. I carefully removed the stencil and let it dry.
So now I need to dress my naked tree with some Bling-y Buttons! I used the Designer Dries Clear Adhesive to paste them sporadically onto the canvas. This glue is great! - It has industrial strength, yet remains flexible- which is a perfect combination when gluing items onto canvas.
Now all is left -is assembling the canvas to the frame and deciding where I will hang this playful and dazzling piece!
Hope you have a blast creating your very own blingy-button masterpiece!



Materials used:
-condiment cups 
-buttons
-canvas and frame 
-acrylic paint: white 
-paintbrushes
-airbrush (Aztek, No. A4702 by TESTORS)
-air compressor (Aztek, SKU# 50201 by TESTORS)
-orange nozzle- .70mm by TESTORS
-airbrush paint: peach, white, black
-lace
-bonsai stencil 
-painters tape 




3 comments:

  1. Saw this in person. Love it! Great directions Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Excellent work and such a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cute I may have to borrow the idea for my daughter's room (she is also named Emma).

    thank you and I hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete